@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}
Google

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Happy The Man


Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He, who can call today his own:
He, who secure within, can say
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair,or foul, or rain or shine,
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate are mine.
Not heaven itself upon the past has power;
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.

Translated John Dryden (1631-1700)

Ille potens sui
Laetusque deget. Cui licet in diem
Dixisse vixi: Cras vel atra
Nube Polum pater occupato
Vel sole puro: non tamen irritum
Quodcumque retro est efficiet, neque
Diffiget infectumque reddet
Quod fugiens semel hora vexit.

Horace, Odes 3:29 Lines 41 -48
Picture:
Odin with His Ravens by Tudor Humphries

3 Comments:

Blogger DA said...

That was beautiful. CARPE DIEM!

Wednesday, 25 January, 2006  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Love it! Photo and poem (and translation) nice touch :)

Thursday, 26 January, 2006  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

Seize the day! Thank you Dimitri. I'm glad you enjoyed it :>)

Hiya Lorraine, I put the Latin in in case anyone wanted a stab at translating it themselves, Thanks for visiting and I'll fly by yours later today.

Thursday, 26 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home