@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}
Google

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Surprise Gift


I had a lovely surprise gift that I am so taken with I thought I'd share :>)

It's a Bronze Roman ring (probably 3rd century) it has held a stone or perhaps piece of glass, which has long gone, the bronze where the stone was held has been hammered into a flat circle and a crude pentagram stamped into the metal, probably in the late 14 century.

The bottom of the circle has worn down considerably causing me to believe that the ring was worn backwards with the pentagram facing into the palm of the hand and just the plain band almost like a wedding band facing outwards.

The ring has been worn with two points of the pentagram facing upwards signifying the Horned God.

I am in awe of the considerable bravery and trust it must have taken to wear this ring, in times when possession of such a thing would mean certain torture and death by burning at the stake.

I think the crudeness of the pentagram is beautiful in itself, whoever had the ring stamped would not have dared to go to the local blacksmith as this may have spelt danger.

It is a ladies ring and fits me perfectly :>) I wish I could tell more about it, I've never seen anything like it before and am sending love and light back to my sisters who wore it before me.

Merry Yule

5 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Nice. Just saying good morning. My younger son liked the pictures on your "Duir" post. Haven't heard from older son yet.

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure something like that would be Roman?? perhaps Celtic, ancient Briton?? known as Cernunnos...but then you probably know more about it than me...

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

Granny, I'm glad your son liked the Duir pics.

I haven't heard from my older son yet either, I hope they are both well

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

My dear Anonymous, you don't seem to have read what I wrote properly.

The ring is originally Roman and the Pentagram dates, probably from the 14 century.

Similiar to:
http://www.ravengrimassi.com/pictures.htm

Yes I certainly do know more about it than you!

Further:

http://thehonourablecompany.com/roman-jewelry/bronze3.htm

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Blogger Granny said...

My older one (Jim) is finally back in touch with the outside world. He, Tim and I will go car shopping this afternoon. I'll remind him to check his email.

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home