@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}
Google

Friday, December 02, 2005

Another Mother Damnable Returns

Old Mother Damnable on the Sky-Top
Wringing her dish-clouts or twirling her mop
Or astride her broom-stick a notable Roarer
With her grim duffel Cloak (vide Juvenal’s Satires)
Be-trimmd and be-flounced with it’s own rags and tatters
Blown over her head and streaming before her
She gallop’d away, on the scent of the booty,
Right over the deck
Of a Goodwin sands Wreck
To stop the poor soul that had not paid the duty

By Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Alias
Silas Tomkyn Comberbache

1 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

One of my high school teachers was a huge Robert Burns fan. So am I but I have trouble with the dialect sometimes.

The description fits anonymous nicely but I think Burns was fond of the mouse.

And the louse as well.

No accounting for tastes. Mice are fine but I can live the rest of my life without lice.

Thank you. Don't know why I'm still awake. Listening to Mozart at moment - one of the Piano Concerti. That should help.

I like the green better too. The yellow stood out but so does the green and it's a gentler color.

Saturday, 03 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home