@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}
Google

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Alden Kindred

My maiden name is Alden, as my visitors from across the pond may know John Alden sailed with the Pilgrim Fathers to America. Although once in America the family lines have been recorded the records here have been destroyed. However I am a West Country girl and Alden is a sufficiently unusual name for my family to believe there is a strong connection.

The stories of the Pilgrim Fathers are fascinating so I am posting a link to the Alden Kindred of America site here.

http://www.alden.org/

"The names of those which came over first, in ye year . 1620. and were (by the blesing of God) the first beginers, and (in a sort) the foundation, of all the plantations, and Colonies, in New England. (And their families.).....

....John Alden was hired for a cooper, at South-Hampton wher the ship victuled; and being a hopefull yong man was much desired, but left to his owne liking to go, or stay when he came here, but he stayed, and maryed here."

From Governor Bradford's accounting of the Mayflower Passengers

5 Comments:

Blogger GreenSmile said...

No wiccans tolerated here in New England in John Alden's day. If Margot Adler's book was a map, where on that map would your witch craft be?

I got to your blog by way of Gerry's pages where you had left a comment. He's not a mean sort really, just kinda prickly on the outside and particular.

I would suggest http://www.dennisfox.net/politics/anarchism.html
as a good link to ease people's typically negative reaction to the word anarchy. Anarchism has other meanings alltogether more positive.

Thursday, 15 December, 2005  
Blogger Granny said...

The John Alden? Speak for yourself John Alden? Although that's probably a myth.

I need a charm for used car salespeople. My brakes went out today. They will still stop the van but reluctantly and I won't put the girls in it.

Friday, 16 December, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

Perhaps you are forgetting the Native American Indians and their Shamanism etc? Wicca is a New Age term. I have found that Witchcraft is worldwide, universal and Anarchical.

I kinda like Big G, I’ve been known to be a bit prickly myself :>)

Thanks for your links, perhaps it would have been useful to have pointed out that Gerry had already had the Big A conversation, never mind, everybody’s memories seem shot away at the moment.

Thanks for your comments Greensmile :>)

Friday, 16 December, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

Granny Yep! The very one :>)

I think the "Speak for yourself " is a myth too, but he does sound like a good all rounder doesn't he?

Used Car Salespeople that'd be Smarm then! Can't you take it back in and get them to fix it?

Please get the brakes checked out, I will be worried otherwise.

Friday, 16 December, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

PS

Granny, whilst I am indulging in a bit of shameless name dropping my married name is Gifford.

I think you've probably heard of my husband's uncle Frank :>)

Friday, 16 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home