@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;}
Google

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Map

The song Oranges and Lemons was taught to children as a map, each church had it’s own distinct set of bells which would sound differently, each ringing out all over London. The words used approximate as closely as possible the sound each church bell would peal.

St Clements Danes were benefactors and many of their almshouses still remain in the city, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A660269

Children would be taught the song so if they were to get lost in London they could just listen out for the bells and would know which direction home would be.

A vital practice in the days of the child snatcher, when children could easily wander off in the busy bustling streets and never be seen again.

There is a St Martin’s in the Fields at Trafalgar Square, the last time I was there was for Thanksgiving service with the Pearlie Kings and Queens, another great old London tradition. I always light a candle at St Martin’s in the fields when I can, for absent friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I like your explanation of "oranges and lemons". Use the bells to bring the kids home.

I've always had a longing to visit London; more than any other city I think.

St. Martins in the Fields has an orchestra that turns up on about half of the classical cd's I own. I used to listen to a classical radio station that featured them prominently as well. Sir somebody and the orchestra of St. Martins in the Fields always has such a nice sound to it.

Just woke up and have to get Elcie ready for church and the Wings of Hope choir.

Sunday, 27 November, 2005  
Blogger Granny said...

Sir Neville Marriner and the Orchestra of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. I googled it because it was driving me nuts I couldn't remember the poor man's name.

Sunday, 27 November, 2005  
Blogger Mother Damnable said...

St Martin’s have lovely concerts, and they practice during the day, so often I go in for a bit of peace when I am out and about in Town and am surprised by beautiful music and singing. There is a crypt at St Martins where one can do brass rubbing and they offer shelter and food for homeless people.

I think you would enjoy London and if you ever do decide to visit I would love to be able to show you around, it is a wonderful city and I feel truly blessed to be able to live here. The most wonderful part is that as with St Martin’s much of the entertainment is free.

Monday, 28 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home